Permanent hypopigmentation is lightening of the skin to the point where it is unable to tan. It is a form of a scar.
Hypopigmentation can be caused by laser.
Hypopigmentation may also be temporary.
Contributing factors relating to hypopigmentation post laser treatment
* Too high settings of the laser for the patient
* Burning or blistering of the skin
* Infection after laser
* Poor wound care eg picking of skin after treatment
* Use of EMLA or other topical anaesthetics with IPL
How to treat permanent Hypopigmentation post laser
* The best way is to remove all of the sun damage around the white area, as when there is reduced contrast, the area itself will look improved
* Cosmetic Tattooing, repigmenting the white area
* Fractional Laser / Needling