What is Melasma?
The Manse are experts at melasma treatment in Sydney. Melasma is a skin condition with skin discolouration: patchy areas of darker skin, often on the forehead, cheeks and upper lips and chin. It mostly occurs in women in the reproductive years(20-50). Chloasma is melasma that is triggered in pregnancy
Melasma is caused by:
Melasma mostly occurs in those with olive or darker skin tones like Hispanic, Asian, and Middle Eastern individuals.
Melasma is worsened by sun exposure. the dark areas are often darker in summer and lighter in winter
Birth control pills and HRT (particularly progesterone) and pregnancy can trigger melasma.
Melasma can be triggered by heat (without sun) eg hot yoga
Prevention of pigmentation
- Sunscreen and sun avoidance
- Heat avoidance
- Aiming to find other suitable options with regard to birth control pills and HRT
Treatment of Melasma pigmentation
At The Manse we have a specific regime for the treatment of melasma. We use a combination of topical prescription medications, topical over the counter medications and laser/IPL devices, peels and microneedling
- Skin lightening agents: Including tretinoin/hydroquinone, kojic acid, vitamin C etc
- Regular exfoliation treatments includingpeels
- RF microneedling with use of lightening agents
- Pigmentation and Vascular Laser treatment: PIH (postinflammatory hyperpigmentation) is always a concern with laser treatment for a patient with melasma.
The first line treatment of melasma pigmentation with an energy based device is a Q-switched laser, and a vascular laser for the vascular component. 2nd line treatment is BBL or a nonablative fractional laser or RF microneedling and the third line treatment is profractional laser (ablative fractional laser), this must be an the erbium laser with no coag.
To make an appointment for melasma treatment Sydney please book online with out therapists or doctors.
Please see the latest info on Melasma 2020