Freckle removal face is most commonly performed with our Sciton BBL laser /IPL.
Please see our Freckle Removal FAQ
PROCEDURE FOR FRECKLE REMOVAL FACE
1. Consultation +/- test patch
Patient is to arrive with no makeup and no history of use of self tan/ spray tan for at least 4 weeks.
The doctor will take a history
- A. skin type and tanning
- B. previous treatments and their success, complications etc
- C. discussion of desired outcome
- D. Assess risk of PIH
Doctor will examine the patient
Doctor will recommend test patching prior to freckle removal face . If the patient is Fitzpatrick 1-2 (fair skinned) then they can go ahead with the test patch on the day. If they are darker skin toned or at risk for PIH (Post inflammatory Pigmentation) then they will be advised to use topical lightening agents for 8 weeks prior to treatment. These topical agents are sold at our clinic.
- Photographs will be taken
- There is opportunity to ask the doctor questions about the procedure
- Consent form will be given to the patient with a discussion of risks, benefits, pros and cons of the treatment. If the patient signs the consent form, the procedure will go ahead.
The test patch
The patient will lie on the examination couch with protective goggles over their eyes.
Gel will be used on the skin of the face as the laser is used. The test patch will be performed typically in a small area in front of the ear. Immediately after treatment, the skin may be red and feel a little sunburnt.
Immediately after the test patch
- A sunburn-like feeling is common after treatment. This is normal
- Sunscreen or makeup may be applied immediately after the treatment to the treated area.
- The patient may purchase a soothing gel for post laser care.
At Home aftercare of the test patch
- Use the soothing gel regularly on the area.
- Keep the area out of the sun.
- Avoid acid or anti-aging skin products on the area for 10 days
Please contact Dr if there is any blistering after the treatment. This is not normal and means that the power was too high. This requires treatment.
What you should see on the skin after the treatment
Day 1 there may be redness in the test patch area and darkening of the freckles
over the next few days the redness will reduce and the freckles will darken. At approx day 5-7 the freckles will start to lift/ crumble revealing beautiful fresh freckle free skin underneath
2 weeks later. Review appointment with the doctor
Your test patch results will be reviewed with the doctor. If it fits in with the patient’s life, the full treatment can be performed on this day.
As the photos, consent and history taking have all been done already then the full treatment can go ahead straight away. The appointment is 30 minutes, but freckle removal on the face will take about 15 minutes in total.
- The patient will lay on the treatment bed
- All makeup will be cleansed off the face.
- Goggles will be worn by the patient to protect the eyes
- Clear ultrasound gel will be applied to the face.
One pass over the full face will be performed, with multiple pulses of the laser required during this full pass. The procedure is painful, but most patients tolerate it very well. I do not like to use any form of anaesthetic when removing freckles and pigmentation (except when using a fractional laser) as I really need to know that I am not causing excessive damage to the skin. If I use a topical anaesthetic, then the patient is not able to give me this important information, and this could lead to side effects including hypopigmentation or scarring. Typically patients will describe the pain as a 7/10.
After the treatment, the ultrasound gel is gently cleaned off the skin.
Immediately after the treatment
- The patient will feel a strong sunburn-like feeling over the face.
- The face will be red and the freckles will be darker than previously
- It is fine to apply sunscreen or makeup immediately after the sciton BBL treatment.
At home care after sciton BBL
- The sunburn-like feeling will last several hours and then nearly disappear. It will commonly be brought on again by showering.
- On the drive home, it is great to have your car air-con nice and high.
- Sun should be avoided. Be aware that while driving one is exposed to the sun
- Sunscreen should be applied every morning and reapplied as often as is practical
- A hat should be worn.
- Soothing gel may be purchased from the clinic and used twice daily.
- Do not use acid or antiaging face products for 2 weeks after treatment.
If you are at risk of PIH, the doctor will have given you instructions to buy some corticosteroid from the chemist to reduce the inflammation and lower your risk of PIH. This should be used for 7 days, twice daily. You should start your lightening agent again at day 7 unless advised otherwise by your doctor
What should you expect to see on your skin after full face BBL for freckle removal face?
- The redness will improve in the next few hours-days after the BBL treatment.
- The freckles will darken over the first few days
- at day 5-7 the freckles will lift and start to crumble away revealing the clear, freckle-free skin you have always wanted!!
- The results will be complete by 14 days.
- Treatment 2 will be at some time from 2 weeks to 4 weeks after treatment 1.
- Treatment 2 will proceed exactly as treatment 1, except a higher power may be used. Also the second treatment will mostly bring up fewer and lighter freckles than treatment 1, because treatment 1 should have lifted up most of the pigment.
After 2 treatments
Most patients will notice an improvement after 2 treatments of freckle removal face with Sciton BBL. Those who want an improved result should have a 3rd treatment, minimum 14 days after treatment 2. Some patients will want multiple treatments
- Facial Redness: nearly always occurs, should resolve within a few days
- Facial Swelling: this can occur especially in the under eye area after Sciton BBL. This should resolve within the week.
- PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) ie the laser can cause areas of brown pigmentation due to inflammation and the patient’s susceptibility to this. It is less common in the lighter skin tones.
- Patients who are at risk for this are treated very differently to those who aren’t. Prevention is important, ie prelightening is important, and steroids may be necessary after the treatment.
- Blistering: This is very uncommon, especially if the patient has had test patching at a certain power. If this occurs, the patient needs to call the doctor urgently
- Infection: The patient may notice a combination of the following: redness, tenderness, swelling, pain and pus. This needs to be treated urgently. The doctor must be contacted immediately
- Hypopigmentation/scarring: This is very uncommon, but possible if too high powers are used.
- Recurrence of freckles after removal: This is most common on the face, the important fact about this though, is that the past sun damage will continue to occur, so it may not be due to sun that is seen after the laser treatment, but due to the sun damage of the past appearing. Maintenance treatment of freckle removal on face is once per year..
Cost of freckle removal face
From $680 per treatment (Minimum 2 treatments required, best results with 3 or more treatments)
Some spots are unable to be removed with BBL
These lesions will require an ablative laser
Please visit the laser mole removal page for a full description on this procedure.
Dressings may need to be used with this laser treatment, the downtime is approx 7 days. It can be performed on the same day as BBL and works on individual lesions