What is Melasma?
Melasma is a skin condition with skin discolouration: patchy areas of darker skin, often on the forehead, cheeks and upper lips and chin. It mostly occurs in women in the reproductive years(20-50). Chloasma is melasma that is triggered in pregnancy
Melasma is caused by:
* Genetic predisposition:
Melasma mostly occurs in those with olive or darker skin tones like Hispanic, Asian, and Middle Eastern individuals.
Melasma is worsened by sun exposure. the dark areas are often darker in summer and lighter in winter
Birth control pills and HRT (particularly progesterone) and pregnancy can trigger melasma <strong>
Prevention of Melasma
- Sunscreen and sun avoidance
- Aiming to find other suitable options with regard to birth control pills and HRT
Treatment of Melasma
At Dr Naomi we have a specific regime for the treatment of melasma. We use a combination of topical prescription medications, topical over the counter medications and laser/IPL devices, peels and needling
- Skin lightening agents: Including tretinoin/hydroquinone, kojic acid, vitamin C etc
- Regular exfoliation treatments: microdermabrasion and peels
- Skin needling with use of lightening agents
- Sonophoresis/iotophoresis with use of lightening agents
- Laser treatment: PIH (postinflammatory hyperpigmentation) is always a concern with laser treatment for a patient with melasma.
The first line treatment of melasma with a light device is a Q-switched laser, 2nd line treatment is BBL or a nonablative fractional laser, and the third line treatment is profractional laser (ablative fractional laser), this must the erbium laser with no coag