Antiwrinkle Injection Aftercare
For one of the antiwrinkle brands, please see the product information details.
Taking Care After Your Wrinkle Injections
- You may begin to notice the effects of your Botulinum toxin treatment within 2-8 days
- Your practitioner may advise you to frown several times a day for these first few days
- Avoid putting any pressure on the treated area for 24-48 hours after treatment
- Do not massage the area of injection for at least 24 hours after treatment
- Do not apply makeup for 6-8 hours post treatment.
Possible side effects
It is not unusual to experience some mild side effects following wrinkle-smoothing injections.
- You may experience a mild headache after treatment. Paracetamol may be taken if required.
- Tenderness and bruising may also appear at the injection site
- There may be red dots at the needle puncture sites
- There maybe swelling around the areas of the puncture sites
- If you do experience bruising, minimise excessive exercise in the first couple of days following treatment
- If you feel unwell or are concerned about any aspect of your treatment, contact the clinic.
After your initial treatment, you will generally be invited to attend a follow-up appointment approximately 4 weeks after your treatment. This enables your practitioner to review the result.
You will not need a follow-up appointment for subsequent treatments.
It is our protocol that we do not assess muscle relaxant results before 4 weeks, as results will continue to increase up to that time.
Sometimes one side will kick in before the other, and the other side then catches up over those 4 weeks
The reason that the 4-week protocol is there, is that the maximal effect continues to build up to 4 weeks.
We really need to see the result at its maximal effect, as if we retreat too early, we may not be putting the product in the correct position or using the correct dose. We do not want to risk an eyelid or eyebrow droop, and we also don’t want to underdose at the review, as then we need to wait 4 weeks after that to reassess again, which postpones assessment and / or correction even further
What happens over the next few months after treatment?
Your review is at 4 weeks after treatment. This is the maximal effect of the dose that we have given you.
At 8 weeks post treatment, you will start to get more movement back.
At 12 weeks after treatment, most people find that their movement is 50% back to normal
At 16 weeks after treatment, most people find that their movement is 80% back to normal.
Retreatment is advised every 3-4 months to maintain results.